There is a new way to treat substance abuse – and it’s working wonders to help addicts break the cycle of abuse and regain control of their lives. Holistic addiction treatment offers a more natural and effective way to escape the throes of drug and alcohol abuse.
Utilizing the body’s natural healing powers, holistic addiction treatment makes it a priority to treat the whole body; not just the symptoms of the disease. By restoring physical health; mental clarity; and spiritual strength to the victim, addicts are able to break free from their destructive behavior.
What Is Holistic Addiction Treatment?
Holistic addiction treatment doesn’t solely rely on traditional addiction therapies. Instead, it complements them with a more natural approach that concentrates on the body as a whole. By looking beyond the initial reasons for the addiction and targeting the underlying problems that led to addiction, patients are able to remain sober long after leaving the treatment center.
Holistic healing is nothing new. More than one-third of Americans use some form of holistics for their general health; so it makes sense to use these centuries-old healing methods to tackle drug and alcohol abuse.
Elevate Addiction Services specializes in a holistic approach to recovery. Offering an integrated approach to healing, the facility employs a combination of traditional treatments, augmented with holistic help that emphasizes:
- Healthy Eating: unhealthy eating habits often result in neurochemical imbalances which can enhance destructive cravings. By addressing any nutritional deficiencies accumulated during the time of addiction, patients are able to handle the therapeutic processes more easily.
- Physical Activity: it isn’t uncommon to see clients and therapists at Elevate riding bikes together; hiking; swimming; or simply enjoying outdoor activities as a way to strengthen the body and clear the mind.
- Meditation & Yoga: addiction can muddle the brain and keep patients from living in the moment. Meditation and yoga help patients relax focus and become more grounded – all necessary aspects of recovery.
- Massage: a complementary therapy option that many report as helping to ease withdrawal symptoms during the detoxification process.
- Alternative types of effective psychotherapy: this includes art and music therapy which is extremely helpful for patients who find it difficult to open up about their feelings and addiction.
- Witha backdrop of scenic locations in the mountains of California, Elevate Addiction Services offers a picturesque setting designed to enhance the healing process.
The Holistic Approach to Addiction Help
When dealing with addiction, it is vital to give the individual patient exactly what they need to heal. This includes creating a personalized plan that looks at the whole body. A holistic approach to addiction treatment relies on many different processes to guide the patient through the path of recovery.
Beginning with a medication-free detox, patients at Elevate Addiction Services are able to break the cycle of addiction by healing physically, mentally and spiritually, using a non-12 step program that focuses on:
- Physical Symptoms associated with withdrawal
- Emotional imbalances which may have led to addiction
- Toxins which could have increased drug cravings
- A lack of spiritual grounding
While not every patient will utilize all of the healing helps available, the goal at Elevate Addiction Services is to make as many options available as possible in order to give the patient what is most needed in their personal recovery journey. This includes offering:
In order to break addiction – and stay sober – patients must learn to live in the moment. Practicing mindfulness can help.
It is impossible to heal without the proper nutrients. Starve your body at the cellular level of what it needs and you will become sluggish and unmotivated. But build up the physical body and it is better able to help the mind and spirit heal.
From hiking in a picturesque setting to hitting the gym or enjoying a relaxing swim, there is something for everyone to enjoy at Elevate Addiction Services.
Every organ, tissue, and cell in the human body needs certain vitamins and minerals to work properly. Restoring proper vitamin and mineral levels helps to:
- Regulate the client’s mood
- Reverse feelings of depression or stress
- Restore the body’s ability to naturally produce serotonin and dopamine
Addiction cultivates feelings of helplessness and low self-esteem. Yoga is a wonderful tool that can be used to quiet the mind, focus better, and become better disciplined.
Offering a sense of calm, clarity, and a way to relax when stressed, meditation has been used successfully to help addicts fend off cravings and feel more in control of their recovery. It is a great tool to sue to avoid relapse.
A complimentary healing help used during the early stages of recovery, therapeutic massage can help ease withdrawal symptoms and offer a peaceful way to relax during treatment.
Essential oils diffused into the air offers numerous physical and mental benefits. Those in recovery have reported that aromatherapy has helped them:
- Think more clearly
- Sleep better
- Handle withdrawal symptoms more easily
Art & Music Therapy
It isn’t always easy to open up to a counselor; no matter how committed the client is to recovery. For those who find it difficult to share their feelings, art and music therapy gives them a non-verbal way to work through their feelings and find the help necessary to heal.
Finding new ways to fill leisure time and find enjoyment in everyday activities is essential to long-term sobriety. Adventure Therapy offers a way for clients to discover new interests and empower themselves by challenging themselves in new ways.
Recovery from addiction is a very personal journey that requires the kind of individualized approach used at Elevate Addiction Services. Holistic healing helps find the right mix of healing helps to give the client exactly what is necessary to break free from their addictive behaviors and enjoy a drug-free life.